Ooty, also known as Udhagamandalam, is a popular tourist destination in India because it has beautiful scenery and mountains. People come to Ooty to go hiking, sightseeing, and birdwatching. Ooty also has many restaurants and bars, which tourists can explore after a day of sightseeing and activities. There are ample sightseeing sites in Ooty that will leave travellers in awe while vacationing. Ooty’s magnificent tea plantations and red-roofed bungalows still carry echoes of the colonial past which fascinated every traveller visiting here for a holiday. The amazing natural exquisiteness with its misty green trails continue to attract thousands of nature lovers who can simply bask amidst its pristine lap. Besides visiting the sprawling tea plantations and admiring the red-roofed bungalows, there are ample things to do in Ooty that will fill you with memories of a lifetime. Offer prayers at the St. Stephen’s Church, take a ride at the Nilgiri Mountain railways or opt for a boat ride at the lake- the endless activities in Ooty will always enthrall you with an absolute sense of wonder.
Read on to know to how to enjoy Ooty’s stunning landscapes and tourist attractions and how to experience its breathtaking beauty. Visit Thomas Cook for the best Ooty Tour Packages.
Situated in the Nilgiri Hills at an altitude of 2,240m (7,350 ft), Ooty is one of the most popular tourist destinations in India because of its scenic beauty. The town is surrounded by hills, meadows, and lush greenery, and offers stunning views of the mountains. Also, there are many places to visit in ooty, such as Ooty Lake, botanical gardens, Doddabetta Peak, and Pykara Falls.
Ooty was formerly a part of the Madras Presidency of British India and was annexed by the Kingdom of Mysore in 1799. It became a part of the newly formed state of Tamil Nadu in 1950.
Being a hill station, Ooty enjoys a cool climate almost through the year. The average temperature goes from 22.8 degrees Celsius to 11.7 degrees Celsius. Situated in the mountains, Ooty also receives above-average rainfall of approximately 940mm annually.
The best way to reach Ooty is by car or bus from Bangalore or Mysore. The drive takes about 5 or 6 hours and is a treat for the eyes. Once you’re in Ooty, there are plenty of things to see and do. Be sure to check out some popular tourist attractions on your Ooty trip like the Botanical Gardens, Doddabetta Peak, and Tea Museum.
Places to Stay
Ooty Tour Packages come with different stay options, from budget-friendly hotels to luxurious resorts. You can find accommodation according to your needs and preferences.
For those on a budget, Ooty has many affordable hotels offering basic amenities and services, perfect for when you just want somewhere to sleep. However, booking your room in advance is always a good idea.
If you’re looking for something a little more comfortable, Ooty Packages also include mid-range hotels that have more facilities and better service. These hotels are best for people who want to enjoy their vacation without spending a lot!
For lovers of all things fancy, there are many luxurious resorts to choose from. These resorts have all the latest amenities including spacious rooms, private pools, and fine-dining restaurants. If you’re craving some pampering and luxury, these resorts are a must-try!
Things to Do
Surrounded by nature all around, Ooty tour is the perfect getaway from the hustle and bustle of city life. We have compiled a list of some of the best things to do in Ooty:
1. Go boating in Ooty lake: This man-made lake is one of Ooty’s most popular tourist attractions. Surrounded by lofty Eucalyptus trees, the lake is the perfect place to enjoy a relaxing evening.
2. Visit botanical gardens: Ooty is home to several beautiful botanical gardens, including the Government Botanical Garden and Rose Garden, which have many exotic flowers and plants. These gardens are the most sought-after destinations in Ooty and a delight for all nature lovers. The gardens also host the Ooty Flower Show as part of the Summer Festival.
3. Enjoy a toy train ride: A ride on the Nilgiri Mountain Railway, commonly known as a toy train, is a joy ride experience that should not be missed. This heritage train takes you through some of the most breathtaking scenery in the region, making it a truly memorable journey.
4. Go shopping: No Ooty trip is complete without buying local handicrafts and souvenirs as mementos for your trip. Main Bazar, Commercial Road, and Tibetan Market are must-visit places for some unique buys.
5. Indulging in local cuisine: Make sure to try some delicious local cuisines while in Ooty. Some all-time favorites include thakkali sadam (rice with tomatoes and spices), uthappam (a savory pancake-like dish), and kotthondu vada (dumplings made of rice flour).
Ooty offers stunning nature scenes and has many tourist attractions to make it to everyone’s travel bucket list. Visiting this charming town will be an experience you won’t forget anytime soon because it has activities for people of all age groups, from adults to children. Whether you’re looking for adventure or relaxation, Visit Thomas Cook for their Ooty Tour Packages for worry-free travel.